In many cultures and civilizations there exist rights of passage where, upon completion, a member moves from one rank to another or is considered a more integral part of the group. I feel like in The Naildom (The Domain of Nails) having your first rage inducing hour-long session of removing glitter polish is a right of passage.
The problem is I don’t think this is a right of passage anyone should really endure, no matter how masochistic one may be. I don’t think you need to have shreds of cotton balls stuck to all your sparkle coated fingers while you’re spewing profanities (totally not speaking from personal experience).
I’m here to tell you there’s a better way. I’m here to help you transcend from your lowly nail scrubbing practice to the magical world of tinfoil finger hats (<—what?).
Steps To Removing You Sparkle Nails
- Gather supplies – cotton balls or pads, tinfoil, scissors, polish remover (acetone works best, but is strong).
- Use scissors to cut tinfoil into 5 squares somewhere around 3×3″ – play around with the size that fits your fingers best.
- Put some polish remover on a cotton ball, place cotton ball on fingernail, then wrap tinfoil over fingertip and cotton ball together.
- Repeat with four other fingers and let sit for 2-3 minutes. I like to do one hand at a time, but you can do all 10 fingers at once if you have the skill. If you only do one hand at a time then you can reuse the foil and cotton balls on the opposite hand.
- Remove the foil/cotton ball from each finger, then reuse the cotton balls to EASILY swipe of the softened glitter polish.
- Repeat on other hand.
- I follow up this removal by scrubbing my hands/nails with a homemade coconut sugar scrub (mix sugar and coconut oil) which helps remove most of those leftover little glitter bits and also gives your nails/hands a punch of moisture and softness after soaking with the polish remover.
- Bask in the glory that you just took off your glitter polish in a few minutes versus a few hours.
This. Is. Amazing. I’m one of the guilty scrub until you are frustrated then pick and scratch off the rest type of gals. I will most definitely be trying this with my next glitter removal! I’m Curious if you seen or had experience with these?
They seem like an interesting concept at least! Thanks for the awesome tip and tutorial!
Thank you very much 🙂 I’ve seen those finger covers, however I have not tried them. I’m sure they would probably do the trick, I would just hope they don’t leak!
Love this guide! Thanks.
This is very useful tip (: